Doug Stewart on 16 Nov 2018 07:51:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] DevOps practices/framework

I highly recommend the DevOps Handbook or, for the management types, The Phoenix Project (aka the novelization of TDOH). Gives a good sense as to what the scope of the concepts looks like.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 9:32 AM Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey@gmail.com> wrote:
stay away from ITIL if you want to keep your sanity
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 20:54, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> I've been asked at $WORK to see if there is some kind of best
> practices/framework/standard thing we can align to so we can be Big
> Company Buzzword Compliant.  I'm aware of these so far but I have not
> yet read them in depth:
> •       https://www.nist.gov/cyberframework
> •       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITIL
> •       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_20000
>
> We call our team "DevOps" but don't let that fool you, we have that name
> because we do some "dev" stuff (systems integration, "glue" code, etc.)
> and a lot of "ops" stuff (build-out, sysadmin, H/W & S/W maint., etc.).
> A "scrum" is a fight you get into when playing sportsball, being "agile"
> is not getting hit in the scrum, CI is "continuous improvement" (of
> business processes), and asking for a "pull request" would probably
> result in a visit from HR.  We do use Git, except when we use
> Subversion.  And we're doing more and more in Ansible, which makes me
> very happy.  So we're kind of pretend devops.  :-)
>
> With that context, can anyone suggest any other buzzword compliance
> checklists I should look at?
>
> TIA,
> JP
> JP Vossen, CISSP | http://www.jpsdomain.org/ | http://bashcookbook.com/