Rich Freeman on 17 Jan 2019 11:16:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Oracle... from the Reg

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:06 PM jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

> Open-source vendors that haven't already switched to less permissive
> licences will do so this year as the move to the cloud threatens their
> business models, a senior Oracle exec has said.

It really depends on what sort of business model you have.  Also, if
you were going to be impacted I think this is REALLY old news.

Anybody using BSD probably isn't impacted by the cloud, because they
weren't relying on being able to access the source of derivatives in
the first place.  Likewise there have been licenses that required
source disclosure for cloud use for a while, with GPLv3 basically
standardizing the approach for the GPL (with an optional clause).

But, sure, if you're going to GPL your code and assume that people
will want to buy a proprietary license to hide their source, that
model is impacted if your customers can effectively use your code
without having to disclose the source in the first place.  I think
this is really a fairly narrow segment of the FOSS world, however.

--
Rich