JP Vossen on 19 Jan 2019 10:36:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] adventures in MIDI

And for something related but quite different:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Pi
	https://sonic-pi.net/

On 1/18/19 7:32 PM, Keith C. Perry wrote:
Floyd,

Not to discourage anything you are doing but in my studio, I use Muse (http://muse-sequencer.org/) for MIDI and audio sequencing for around 15 years.  That, even more than Ardour, would be the center of any major studio project I would take on at this point.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Floyd Johnson" <fljohnson3@isp.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2019 6:36:56 PM
Subject: [PLUG] adventures in MIDI

After misfortunes with various Linux music-composition programs (Nted
kept forgetting notes and rests during playback, and lacked
"articulations", Rosegarden declared my laptop with Fluidsynth "not a
sane setup", Canorus was buggy and required too much to compile), I
nosed around in libasound.

It took a bit of trial and error to truly understand the online
documentation, but I was able to write a PoC that did an arpeggio.

Two weeks forward, if that long, I am approaching a working prototype of
a far-less-absentminded composition program written with GtkMM. From
where I sit, GNU C++ is not what it was in 1992.

Depending on how this works out, what I've learned about "talking to
sequencers" and/or "practical GtkMM" could be material for at least a
Lightning talk.
Later,
JP