jeff on 23 Jan 2019 06:27:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Mining for Cycles (Pavel Kovtunenko)

On 1/23/19 12:10 AM, Pavel Kovtunenko wrote:

Jeff,
How could a javascript get that deep into a system?
Do you mind sharing what web browser you use?

The articles I read said they get in through the browser and use known exploits in the OS to implant.

There are a few browsers. FF is main, but different ones for different sites. They're all javascript off by default. Apparently I turned it on for the wrong site. Obviously no idea which browser or site. The issue got into my profile, so when I hooked it back in, it reactivated. It was not picked up by any local scanners and only by Virustotal when the process substituted its versions for the originals, then put them back. There is no activity now. New OS, new profile, some text files moved over. I'm tin foil squad, so this is weird.

Wish I had better answers for all of us.
I picked a bad week to stop visiting adult hamster sites.