Carl Johnson on 9 Apr 2019 13:48:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] verizon fios router oops

If you REALLY want to get rid of it, you can replace it with a MoCA bridge.

On April 9, 2019 4:42:16 PM EDT, Anthony Martin <anthony.j.martin142@gmail.com> wrote:
I have the ONT line going to an edgerouter for the last 6 months and I have actually had fewer issues than I previously did. I have the Verizon router hooked up to its own isolated network so my cable box can still function, otherwise, I would have gotten rid of the piece of garbage.

Anthony Martin

Linux System Administrator

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 12:49 PM Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 12:35 PM jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

> A cybersecurity researcher at Tenable has discovered multiple security
> vulnerabilities in Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway Wi-Fi routers

Two words: bridge mode.

Or better still have them activate the ethernet port in your ONT and
ditch their router entirely.  I'm using an EdgeRouter, but there are
plenty of cheap reputable options that can run OpenWRT or something
else reliable.  One of the things that irks me about FIOS is that the
last time I checked they wouldn't even sell you gigabit without
renting you a router under the assumption that nobody else makes
gigabit-capable routers.  Obviously you have to check the specs but
the Edgerouter can handle gigabit if you don't go crazy with the
rules.

--
Rich