Steve Litt on 21 May 2019 00:41:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Electronics gear

On Mon, 20 May 2019 12:33:38 -0400
jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

> Always measure high voltage with one hand in your
> pocket, lest you provide a convenient path for current, involving
> your heart.

Truer words have never been spoken. I was trying to repair one of these
really old school TVs with the CRT picture tubes. I had one hand behind
my back, as the other one went in for a measurement.

Snap! A 1 inch spark emerged from the very insulated high voltage wire
to the picture tube and hit me in the finger. It felt like a sledge
hammer. From there it traveled down my arm, through my body, through my
tennis shoes, through my rug, through the under-rug padding, to the wood
below the rug, where it eventually disbursed to a ground somewhere. Can
you imagine if that sucker had a path to ground through my other hand,
straight through my heart?

SteveT