K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 28 Aug 2019 06:52:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] What's a small document scanner that's easy to use?

Google Docs also does something similar, so that the scanned documents look good. The tricky part is avoiding shadows, because I typically put the documents on a flat surface and hold the camera overhead, and almost invariably there is a light source somewhere that results in a shadow of the camera and my hand over the document.

Regards
– Bhaskar

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 1:39 AM Fred Stluka via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 8/23/19 11:09 AM, Mark Dominus via plug wrote:
> Thanks guys, but this is not what I am asking for.  I am well aware
> that my phone has a camera in it.
>
> As I said, I want a sheet-fed desk scanner that can make the scanned
> images appear in my Linux laptop.

Mark,

You may not want to discard the phone idea so fast.  For a
long time I confidently ignored suggestions to use my phone
to take pics of docs, because I didn't want a bunch of
distorted unprofessional-looking pictures of single pages
of docs stored as JPGs.  I wanted single PDF files containing
multi-page docs all aligned nicely as though they'd been
fed through a scanner, not photographed at a slight angle
and including some background from the surface the doc
page was lying on.

Then I found out that DropBox (and perhaps Google Docs
also) does a REALLY nice job.  In Dropbox on my phone, I
click "+" to add a doc from the camera, then take a picture
of each page.  Dropbox automatically clips to the exact
bounds of the page, transforms the shape back into a
rectangle, shows me a preview and lets me retry if I like,
allows me to keep adding more pages to the same PDF file,
and uploads automatically to my Dropbox folder on my
laptop.  Looks exactly the same as when I use a real
sheet-fed scanner.

FYI,
--Fred