JP Vossen via plug on 24 Jan 2020 08:53:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Open Source IT Asset Management

What about something like:
https://github.com/digitalocean/netbox
https://netbox.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

On 1/23/20 10:32 AM, brent saner via plug wrote:
(Apologies for top-posting)

What I'd recommend is closer to what Will said. There are some asset tracking systems out there, but they're usually tied to a MUCH larger management system. For *these*, I'd recommend either Spacewalk/Satellite or SaltStack, the latter of which has some nice baremetal features for certain OSes and the latter of which can pretty quickly dynamically get you a whole SLEW of information about the host and is MUCH more clean and simple (no built-in web application, but it's easy to write one if you use a DB-backed inventory). Both will also let you incorporate change management.

But if you want something simple, lightweight, tailored to your specific environment, and you're feeling a little NIH-y, a relational DB (doesn't have to be pgsql but I'd stay away from e.g. Sqlite3 as it has no network capabilities or ACL system), a web form.displayer (PHP or flask/django app), and  you should be fine.

I'd recommend QR code over barcode; you get better error leniency and more space for data, readers are ubiquitous (the two major mobile platforms have plethora of reader apps, and tend to have URI auto-detection), dedicated scanners tend to be cheaper/newer (if you decide you need them), and you have a swathe of generating libraries to choose from.[0]

[0]  e.g. https://pypi.org/search/?q=qr+code
https://pear.php.net/package/Image_QRCode

sent from my toaster.