Michael Leone via plug on 5 Feb 2020 12:15:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] openssl and specifying subjectAltName

OK, I'm doing something totally wrong. When I sign a CSR, for some
reason, I am getting no x509v3 extensions, nor any SAN
(subjectAltName). And I don't know why, since they should be in the
section that are default options for signed certs.

I want this:
keyUsage=digitalSignature,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
extendedKeyUsage=serverAuth,clientAuth
subjectKeyIdentifier=hash

and a SAN for every cert I sign. Yet I'm *not* getting that, unless I
put those options (not the SAN) in a separate cert-extensions file,
and use the "-extfile" option. Buy why? Obviously I have those options
in the wrong place in the openssl.cnf, but I'm not seeing why.

When I sign a CSR, I do this:

openssl x509 -req-days 3650 -in request.CSR -CA CA.pem -CAkey
CA-KEY.pem -CAserial serial -out <request-cert.pem>

So why am I not getting my wanted extensions and SANs? I thought for
sure I was specifying them correctly, in the "[ req ]" section.

Specifically, I have
[ req ]
x509_extensions = usr_cert

[ usr_cert ]
# Extensions for client certificates (`man x509v3_config`).
basicConstraints = CA:FALSE
nsCertType = client, email
nsComment = "PHA Interanlly generated Client Certificate"
subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid,issuer
#keyUsage = critical, nonRepudiation, digitalSignature, keyEncipherment
#extendedKeyUsage = clientAuth, emailProtection
#
# PHA Added
#
keyUsage=digitalSignature,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
extendedKeyUsage=serverAuth,clientAuth
subjectKeyIdentifier=hash
subjectAltNames = @alt_names

So how come I don't get those keyUsages unless I stick them in a
separate file, and use "-extfile"? I'm missing something basic here, I
thought all signing requests ("-req") would use the options in the
section labeled "[ req ]", but that turns out not to be the case (for
me, anyway)

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

(I don't have an easy way to upload the openssl.cnf to somewhere, so I
have to just paste it in  here. Sorry about that ... pardon the crappy
formatting)
#
# PHA CA OpenSSL.CNF file
#

# This definition stops the following lines choking if HOME isn't
# defined.
HOME = .
RANDFILE = $ENV::HOME/.rnd

# Extra OBJECT IDENTIFIER info:
#oid_file = $ENV::HOME/.oid
oid_section = new_oids

# To use this configuration file with the "-extfile" option of the
# "openssl x509" utility, name here the section containing the
# X.509v3 extensions to use:
# extensions =
# (Alternatively, use a configuration file that has only
# X.509v3 extensions in its main [= default] section.)

[ new_oids ]

# We can add new OIDs in here for use by 'ca', 'req' and 'ts'.
# Add a simple OID like this:
# testoid1=1.2.3.4
# Or use config file substitution like this:
# testoid2=${testoid1}.5.6

# Policies used by the TSA examples.
tsa_policy1 = 1.2.3.4.1
tsa_policy2 = 1.2.3.4.5.6
tsa_policy3 = 1.2.3.4.5.7

# This section defines defaults for a "ca" certificate [certificate
# authority]

[ ca ]
default_ca = CA_default # The default ca section

[ CA_default ]

dir = /PHA-CA  # Where everything is kept
certs = $dir/certs # Where the issued certs are kept
crl_dir = $dir/crl # Where the issued crl are kept
database = $dir/index.txt # database index file.
#unique_subject = no # Set to 'no' to allow creation of
# several certs with same subject.
new_certs_dir = $dir/newcerts # default place for new certs.

#certificate = $dir/cacert.pem # The CA certificate
#private_key = $dir/private/cakey.pem# The private key

#
# PHA specific private cert and cert
#
certificate = $dir/<MY-CA-CERT.pem> # The CA certificate
private_key = $dir/private/<MY-CA-KEY.pem>

serial = $dir/serial # The current serial number

RANDFILE = $dir/private/.rand # private random number file

x509_extensions = usr_cert # The extensions to add to the cert

# Comment out the following two lines for the "traditional"
# (and highly broken) format.
name_opt = ca_default # Subject Name options
cert_opt = ca_default # Certificate field options

# Extension copying option: use with caution.
# copy_extensions = copy

# Extensions to add to a CRL. Note: Netscape communicator chokes on V2 CRLs
# so this is commented out by default to leave a V1 CRL.
# crlnumber must also be commented out to leave a V1 CRL.

crlnumber = $dir/crlnumber # the current crl number
# must be commented out to leave a V1 CRL
crl_extensions = crl_ext
default_crl_days = 180 # how long before next CRL
crl = $dir/crl/pki_pha_crl.crl # The current CRL

default_days = 7300 # how long to certify for
default_md = sha256 # use public key default MD
preserve = no # keep passed DN ordering

# A few difference way of specifying how similar the request should look
# For type CA, the listed attributes must be the same, and the optional
# and supplied fields are just that :-)
policy = policy_match

# For the CA policy
[ policy_match ]
countryName = match
stateOrProvinceName = match
organizationName = match
organizationalUnitName = optional
commonName = supplied
emailAddress = optional

# For the 'anything' policy
# At this point in time, you must list all acceptable 'object'
# types.
[ policy_anything ]
countryName = optional
stateOrProvinceName = optional
localityName = optional
organizationName = optional
organizationalUnitName = optional
commonName = supplied
emailAddress = optional

# This is the default certificate request settings
#
[ req ]
default_bits = 2048
default_keyfile = privkey.pem
distinguished_name = req_distinguished_name
attributes = req_attributes
#x509_extensions = v3_ca # The extensions to add to the self signed cert
req_extensions = v3_req
x509_extensions = usr_cert

# Passwords for private keys if not present they will be prompted for
# input_password = secret
# output_password = secret

# This sets a mask for permitted string types. There are several options.
# default: PrintableString, T61String, BMPString.
# pkix : PrintableString, BMPString (PKIX recommendation before 2004)
# utf8only: only UTF8Strings (PKIX recommendation after 2004).
# nombstr : PrintableString, T61String (no BMPStrings or UTF8Strings).
# MASK:XXXX a literal mask value.
# WARNING: ancient versions of Netscape crash on BMPStrings or UTF8Strings.
string_mask = utf8only

default_md = sha256 # PHA change

[ req_distinguished_name ]
countryName = Country Name (2 letter code)
countryName_default = US
countryName_min = 2
countryName_max = 2

stateOrProvinceName = State or Province Name (full name)
stateOrProvinceName_default = Pennsylvania

localityName = Locality Name (eg, city)
localityName_default = Philadelphia

0.organizationName = Organization Name (eg, company)
0.organizationName_default = PHA

# we can do this but it is not needed normally :-)
#1.organizationName = Second Organization Name (eg, company)
#1.organizationName_default = World Wide Web Pty Ltd

organizationalUnitName = Organizational Unit Name (eg, section)
#organizationalUnitName_default =

commonName = Common Name (e.g. server FQDN or YOUR name)
commonName_max = 64

emailAddress = Email Address
emailAddress_max = 64

# SET-ex3 = SET extension number 3

[ req_attributes ]
challengePassword = A challenge password
challengePassword_min = 4
challengePassword_max = 20

unstructuredName = An optional company name

[ v3_req ]
# Extensions to add to a certificate request
basicConstraints = CA:FALSE
keyUsage = nonRepudiation, digitalSignature, keyEncipherment
subjectAltName = @alt_names

[ v3_ca ]
# Extensions for a typical CA
subjectKeyIdentifier=hash
authorityKeyIdentifier=keyid:always,issuer
basicConstraints = critical,CA:true

# Key usage: this is typical for a CA certificate. However since it will
# prevent it being used as an test self-signed certificate it is best
# left out by default.
# keyUsage = cRLSign, keyCertSign
keyUsage = critical, digitalSignature, cRLSign, keyCertSign

[ v3_intermediate_ca ]
# Extensions for a typical intermediate CA (`man x509v3_config`)
subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid:always,issuer
basicConstraints = critical, CA:true, pathlen:0
keyUsage = critical, digitalSignature, cRLSign, keyCertSign
crlDistributionPoints = @crl_info
authorityInfoAccess = @ocsp_info

[ usr_cert ]
# Extensions for client certificates (`man x509v3_config`).
basicConstraints = CA:FALSE
nsCertType = client, email
nsComment = "PHA Interanlly generated Client Certificate"
subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid,issuer
#keyUsage = critical, nonRepudiation, digitalSignature, keyEncipherment
#extendedKeyUsage = clientAuth, emailProtection
#
# PHA Added
#
keyUsage=digitalSignature,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
extendedKeyUsage=serverAuth,clientAuth
subjectKeyIdentifier=hash
subjectAltNames = @alt_names

[ server_cert ]
# Extensions for server certificates (`man x509v3_config`)
basicConstraints = CA:FALSE
nsCertType = server
nsComment = "PHA Internally generated Server Certificate"
subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid,issuer:always
keyUsage = critical, digitalSignature, keyEncipherment
extendedKeyUsage = serverAuth
crlDistributionPoints = @crl_info # CDP: URI of CRL file
authorityInfoAccess = @ocsp_info # OSCP: URI of AIA
subjectAltName = @alt_names

[ crl_ext ]

# CRL extensions.
# Only issuerAltName and authorityKeyIdentifier make any sense in a CRL.
# issuerAltName=issuer:copy
authorityKeyIdentifier=keyid:always

[ crl_info ]
URI.0 = http://pki.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov/pki_pha_crl.crl

[ ocsp ]
# Extension for OCSP signing certificates (`man ocsp`)
basicConstraints = CA:FALSE
subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid,issuer
keyUsage = critical, digitalSignature
extendedKeyUsage = critical, OCSPSigning

[ ocsp_info ]
caIssuers;URI.0 = http://pki.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov/pki_pha_ocsp.crt
OCSP;URI.0 = http://pki.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov

[ alt_names ]
DNS.1 = commonName
#DNS.1 = dctrwrk022.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov

[ tsa ]

default_tsa = tsa_config1 # the default TSA section

[ tsa_config1 ]

# These are used by the TSA reply generation only.
dir = ./demoCA # TSA root directory
serial = $dir/tsaserial # The current serial number (mandatory)
crypto_device = builtin # OpenSSL engine to use for signing
signer_cert = $dir/tsacert.pem # The TSA signing certificate
# (optional)
certs = $dir/cacert.pem # Certificate chain to include in reply
# (optional)
signer_key = $dir/private/tsakey.pem # The TSA private key (optional)
signer_digest  = sha256 # Signing digest to use. (Optional)
default_policy = tsa_policy1 # Policy if request did not specify it
# (optional)
other_policies = tsa_policy2, tsa_policy3 # acceptable policies (optional)
digests     = sha1, sha256, sha384, sha512  # Acceptable message
digests (mandatory)
accuracy = secs:1, millisecs:500, microsecs:100 # (optional)
clock_precision_digits  = 0 # number of digits after dot. (optional)
ordering = yes # Is ordering defined for timestamps?
# (optional, default: no)
tsa_name = yes # Must the TSA name be included in the reply?
# (optional, default: no)
ess_cert_id_chain = no # Must the ESS cert id chain be included?
# (optional, default: no)