Eric H. Johnson via plug on 6 Apr 2020 15:51:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dual booting Linux and Windows

David et al,

I downloaded Ubuntu 20.04 beta, and it has the same problem.

In the BIOS, HDD1 is identified as INTEL SDD...
SATA mode is RST with Optane

Going to the security tab, it displays:
HDD1: NVMe SSD doesn't support HDD

I do not see any place that allows me to change the Intel RST setting.

Regards,
Eric

Eric,

I have one other suggestion for you, which may or may not apply to your particular hardware. I have seen similar behavior to what you are describing in Dell systems that shipped with a single drive and a default configuration for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST). Specifically, the machines shipped with a single drive and Intel RST set to a RAID configuration. This caused Ubuntu 18.04 to not recognize the NVMe drive. I had to change the Intel RST setting to either AHCI or disabled. I forget which and don't have access to one of those machines right now to check.

Anyway, if your laptop has Intel RST and either an M.2 or NVMe drive it's worth checking those settings. Also, one other caveat, I was not trying to dual-boot. I was formatting the drive and installing Linux as the sole OS. So I don't know what switching those settings might do to an existing Windows installation.

-Dave Collins