Steve Litt via plug on 18 May 2020 00:00:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Gobo Linux

On Sun, 17 May 2020 14:25:49 -0400
Mail List via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I've been reading about Gobo Linux and it's very unique file system
> layout.  I find the idea very intriguing.  Also, Gobo is a
> "source-based" distro, which I generally prefer because it's nerdier.
>
> But Gobo's been kicking my butt.  I can't even get it to boot in a VM
> after "installing" it.  The docs are essentially non-existent, and I'm
> stumped.   I could spend a few more hours fighting it, but it's easier
> to ask :)
>

> Has anybody tried Gobo Linux?  Your thoughts?  How the heck did you
> get it to boot?

Several years ago I tried it and got it to boot. I was very excited
about the prospect of one application, one directory, because I
remember MS-DOS and how easy it was to walk an application from one
computer to another just by transferring one directory tree. I was an
early enthusiastic supporter.

The Gobo people and I came to a parting of the ways because they
insisted on making their distro hostile to people with bad vision. 8
and 9 point type was everywhere, with a lot of it being darkblue on
black. I figured I could make the necessary changes in the CLI
environment, but nope, they made sure their framebuffer was about 8
point so they could get maybe 250 characters on a line, and once again,
less than optimal contrast.

Of course, this creates a buried shovel for those of us with less than
20/15 visual acuity. We'd change the fonts, if only we could read the
screen to change them. And we'd be able to read the screen if only we
could change the fonts.

I asked them to grow the fonts and intensify the contrast so mere
mortals could at least see to adjust the fonts. They acted like I was a
disgruntled user, and finally, told me they wouldn't do the changes,
but I could submit a patch. What part of "I can't see to change it"
didn't they understand?

Nowadays, when anybody asks about Gobo, I tell this story.

It's funny. In a now famous video, Lennart Poettering asked "do you
hate people with disabilities?", and we all mock him for that. But in
the case of Gobo, I'd have to say they do hate people with disabilities.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist