Gary Duzan via plug on 29 May 2020 15:08:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] /proc files owned by root for non-root user

   Probably something setuid somewhere.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/75045/files-in-proc-pid-e-g-ssh-agent-chrome-are-not-owned-by-user-but-by-root

                                 Gary

p.s. I can't imagine what code might be doing that. :-)

=> The normal value of /proc/<pid>/coredump_filter is 0x33, but we set it on
=> process startup to 0x73 as we want to include shared memory mapped by
=> hugepages in coredumps. Writing 0x73 to that file has always worked for us
=> and is indeed the appropriate mechanism to configure core dumps.
=>
=> A customer has come up with a head-scratcher. A few of their processes
=> (which run a utility program) end up with files under /proc owned by root
=> for non-root processes, which means that writing 0x73 to
=> /proc/<pid>/coredump_filter fails with a permissions error. The majority
=> of
=> processes have /proc files owned by the non-root users running the
=> processes, and so writing to the file works as  it should.
=>
=> Any ideas on how /proc files for a non-root user process can end up
=> getting
=> owned by root? Something to do with SELinux maybe? All ideas welcome.
=> Thank
=> you in advance.
=>
=> Regards