Walt Mankowski via plug on 2 Jun 2020 07:26:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Running WSL2 in VirtualBox

On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 09:46:22AM -0400, Mike Leone via plug wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Walt Mankowski via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm running Ubuntu 20.04, and on it I'm running Windows 10 in
> > VirtualBox 6.1.6. Over the weekend I updated Win10 to the latest
> > release and I'm having trouble getting WSL2 to work.
>
> So ... you have a Linux machine, and in it you're running Win 10 as a
> VM? and in that VM, you want to run WSL, to run Linux inside the
> Windows VM that's running on Linux?
>
> Is that what you're doing? (I've never used WSL, or done nested VMs
> like that, except in a VMware class environment, where they were
> running next ESXi instances ...)

Yes, that's what I'd like to do. There are a few reasons for
this. First, work is mostly a Windows a shop and for a bunch of
reasons, including running Outlook, it's nice to have access to the
same platform most other people are using.

Second, our work VPN has only limited support for Linux. I can run the
VPN in the Win10 VM and keep my host Linux box off the VPN and then
I'm not as impacted by the work VPN blocking websites or keeping my
from accessing my email and calendar.

Third, if I take that approach, then if I run WSL than I can use SSH
to connect to our work boxes instead of using Putty.

Unfortunately, the performance of WSL is really crappy. There are
reports of WSL2 being 5-10x faster, so I'd like to use that instead.

Walt