Steve Litt via plug on 22 Jun 2020 23:44:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] almost a linux laptop

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 15:41:20 -0400
jeff via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> https://arstechnica.com/?p=1683910
>
> Almost. Shoulda tried Xubuntu

To test its practicality on Linux, I'd have installed Void Linux with
Openbox + dmenu + gvim/VimOutliner.

I'm not quite sure why the author felt
obliged to use Fedora. Last time I did a ps ax on a systemd equipped
machine, there were a couple hundred lines of processes (or whatever
they're called on systemd) all sorts of stuff that wasn't really
processes. And it's obvious with 2GB RAM you need a very svelte window
manager. Openbox is actually fairly big: IceWM or jwm might have been
better choices. But if he ran something like Gnome or XFCE, you *know*
it's going to stall.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist