CJ Fearnley via plug on 29 Jun 2020 17:27:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Jitsi calls & schedule

I like the principle here. But 7:30 feels to me like a more rounded time.
Also, I decided to preserve the much of the old text at the bottom as
a placeholder. With more feedback I will probably change it further.

So I updated all PLUG Central events on Meetup
(https://www.meetup.com/Philadelphia-Linux-User-Group-Meetup/events/) with the
following new text:

PLUG Central - Jitsi Meet: 7-9PM; Speaker from 7:30-8:30PM

Please join us for PLUG Central. During the pandemic we meet on-line at Jitsi
Meet, beginning at 7pm. RSVPs are optional. Anyone interested in Linux and
Free and Open Source software is welcome to attend. We welcome all levels of
expertise, whether you're just curious, a hobbyist, or a professional.

Jitsi Meet agenda:

Q&A with emcee CJ Fearnley from 7-7:30PM. Bring your Linux (and related)
questions for a group exploration.

The main presentation from 7:30-8:30PM: TBD.

Q&A continued from 8:30-9PM.

After the pandemic dissipates, we plan to again meet in Lecture Hall
A in Griffith Hall at USP in Philadelphia. We plan to revert to the
original speaker slot from 8-9PM with Q&A at the beginning to better
support travel constraints.

After the presentation some of us adjourn to Clarkville
(http://www.clarkvillephilly.com/) a nearby pizza and craft beer restaurant.

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP)
Griffith Hall (Room "A" or "C", look for the signs)
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

USP is located in University City. Driving directions are available at
http://www.phillylinux.org/locations/usp.html, or
http://www.usip.edu/directions, both of which have an aerial view of the
campus buildings. USP is also easily accessible by public transportation.

Often, the door to Griffith Hall is locked at 7PM. If you find the door
locked, please contact the security guard (usually in the booth in the parking
lot) and tell them that the monthly PLUG (Philadelphia Linux User Group)
meeting in Griffith Hall is tonight. If there is no one in the booth you can
call UCS's public safety number at 215.895.1117 and they will radio personnel
to unlock the door. Our sponsor is Zhiwei Liu in the Chemistry department.
Security knows this and will almost always open the door for you and have it
unlocked so other participants can enter without issue.

Here is the old text that was replaced (Meetup does not provide backups):

PLUG Central - Q&A from 7-8 PM; Speaker from 8-9PM

Please join us for PLUG Central. We will be meeting in Lecture Hall A in
Griffith Hall at USP in Philadelphia, beginning at 7pm. RSVPs are optional.
Anyone interested in Linux and Free and Open Source software is welcome to
attend. We welcome all levels of expertise, whether you're just curious, a
hobbyist, or a professional.

Q&A with emcee CJ Fearnley from 7-8PM. Bring your Linux (and related)
questions for a group exploration.

The main presentation from 8-9PM: TBD.

On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 07:11:19PM -0400, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> Thanks, JP, that's an excellent point.
>
> Let's say we start the virtual meetings at 7:15. That gives us time to
> say hi, introduce ourselves if anyone's new, and get any tech issues
> resolved. We've got the channel indefinitely so we can do Q&A and
> other chit chat afterwards for as long as folks are up to it.
>
> Walt
>
> On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 05:27:25PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> > tl;dr: For PLUG North (and future), is 7PM the Q&A or the talk?
> >

> > For the live meetings the schedule was:
> > 	1. 7-8 Q&A
> > 	2. 8-9 Talk
> > 	3. 9-? Dinner/drinks
> >
> > For the PLUG Central call, folks wanted to do:
> > 	1. 7-8 Talk
> > 	2. 8-? Q&A
> >
> > For the virtual meetings I thing the "talk first" format makes sense, but we
> > need to be clear in the meeting announcements about that or folks will tune
> > in late and miss the talk.
> >
> > The key is, announce it then stick to the announced schedule.
> >
> > For live meetings the Q&A was a great buffer when running late, so it was
> > really frustrating when the talk started early.  OTOH, for virtual meetings,
> > it's probably better to start on the talk pretty soon and leave the Q&A
> > until after for any interested.  Maybe have a mini Q&A for 5-10 minutes just
> > to allow for technical problems and such, then talk.
> >
> > On a related note, MUTE your mic!!!  Don't assume you are muted, check. And
> > the presenter should probably mute everyone at the start of the talk.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> > JP
> > JP Vossen, CISSP | http://www.jpsdomain.org/ | http://bashcookbook.com/

CJ Fearnley                 |   LinuxForce Inc.
cjf@LinuxForce.net          |   IT and Hosting Consulting
https://www.LinuxForce.net  |   https://blog.LinuxForce.net