Rich Freeman via plug on 13 Jul 2020 11:10:03 -0700

[PLUG] Best Solution for Multiple Volume Backups

I want to backup one or more paths potentially across multiple
volumes.  I want support for:

* Include/Exclude
* Incremental backups
* Tracking deleted files
* Ideally not too dependent on mtime
* Backup solution is itself easy to backup/restore (might just do this
by running it in a container and sticking a tarball on the backup
drive)
* If it uses indexes/etc these should be re-creatable if lost
* Backups must be able to span multiple devices which may or may not
all be mounted at once
* 100% CLI.  I don't mind if it has a nice X11 client but I need to be
able to run from the CLI, or do things like hit the start button on
X11, then kill the X server and the backup keeps running and I can
just re-connect to check on it.
* Reasonably atomic - full backups are going to take many hours so
stuff is going to change while running.  It might be able to work
around this with snapshots I guess...

Backup sizes are going to be large - 10+TB.  It wouldn't hurt if this
can be interrupted/resumed but if not there needs to be some
reasonable way to restart a backup if interrupted (ie interrupted
incremental shouldn't require a new full backup to recover).

I'm pretty sure Bacula could do the job, but it is a bit heavyweight
and I suspect all the media management might get cumbersome with
disks.  I don't want to be rotating $200 hard drives the way you might
rotate $10 tapes.

Are there other solutions that might make sense?  I'll probably start
looking at Bacula again - in the past my biggest concern was that it
was hard to back up, but sticking it in a container and creating a
tarball might solve that.

--
Rich