Steve Litt via plug on 8 Aug 2020 00:22:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] TALK IDEAS

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 20:38:11 -0400
Ronald P Guilmet via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I'm going through a book on Linux Programming. I could go over some
> of what I am learning, if you all want.
>
> Linux Programming – Working with Files
>

> You’ll learn how to create files, open them, read, write, and close
> them in the language of C. We’ll look at the use of system calls and
> the performance penalty for using them.
>
> Let me know what you think,

I think it should be two parts: One as you describe, the other devoted
to file handling by AWK, sed, grep, sort, and once the file info has
been screened and summarized, Python to do the logic heavy lifting.

And the two can be mixed together. Oftentimes it's beneficial to write
a very fast C filter to do something in the pipe series not done well
by the Unix utilities.

SteveT