Rich Freeman via plug on 19 Aug 2020 08:31:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ssh botnet

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:09 AM jeff via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> New P2P botnet infects SSH servers all over the world
> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/new-p2p-botnet-infects-ssh-servers-all-over-the-world/

Detection script at:
https://github.com/guardicore/labs_campaigns/tree/master/FritzFrog

It seems pretty specific to this botnet and not the underlying issues.
It wasn't clear whether this actually exploits anything - this is more
of a new payload.  My guess is that it is just brute-forcing passwords
to spread, or leveraging credentials it finds.

Obviously it is best to disable passwords or add 2FA if you have to use them.

> Researchers detail bug in wireless devices impacting critical sectors
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/researchers-detail-bug-in-wireless-devices-impacting-critical-sectors/
> 'Thales' units
> CVE-2020-15858

Didn't read all the gory details yet, but I do find it amusing that
the Hayes modem command set is still a thing.

--
Rich

--
Rich