K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 20 Aug 2020 10:19:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] best free FOSS progs 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:35 AM Ron Nascimento via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

On 8/20/20 8:40 AM, jeff via plug wrote:
> Sysadmin university: How to document code and scripts in Linux
> https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/document-code-scripts

I never see bash scripts with any documentation, which leads me to
believe that most bash scripts are written by non-programmers.

[KSB] I was going to ignore that last comment, but the “never” made me take the bait! https://gitlab.com/YottaDB/DB/YDB/-/blob/master/sr_unix/ydbinstall.sh does have comments, though the comments are a bit sparse (the original architect of the code base believed that developers should read code, not comments, when maintaining software, and therefore comments should document the developer's intent and the code should document the realization of that intent).

Any suggestions for improving the readability of that shell script are welcome, and we will extend any good ideas to improve our other scripting, although this is the most complex one we have.

We used to maintain revision history in our code and scripts, but moved to comments associated with git commits, because those are a more robust record.

Regards
– Bhaskar