Keith via plug on 26 Oct 2020 12:17:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mesh WiFi

On 10/26/20 2:52 PM, Thomas Delrue via plug wrote:

Just as a general feelers-being-put-out... Does anyone have opinions or
experiences with Mesh WiFi products (e.g. Amplifi or Ubiquiti) for home use?
Which ones do you use and how (un)happy are you with them? How hard are
they to install, expand, or manage?

How much (as a range) did you pay for them?

Eager to hear what people have running...

Thomas you might want to check the mailing list archives because I'm pretty sure this was discussing within the last year.

That said, I use Ubiquiiti product for my clients and run their stuff at home.  I can't say enough good about them and they kept coming out with new products.  Stable and easy to manage through one console (which is the biggest change from consumer wifi stuff but you'll get over that real quick).  There many ways to deploy them... traditional wifi, mesh wifi or a hybrid of both.

My network is currently a bit of a hybrid.  I have 2 Unifi AC Pro units (one remote connected to a Unifi 8 port PoE switch), 1 24 port 750w Unifi PoE switch and 1 Unifi AC-M (which is a mesh unit but can act as a remote unit or stand alone WAP).  Remote units use the 5Ghz for the back haul but will simultaneously serve 5GHz clients too.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167