Walt Mankowski via plug on 28 Oct 2020 14:11:48 -0700

[PLUG] Copying files to multiple volumes

Hi,

At work I've got to copy 7.8 TB of files onto external hard drives so
they can be archived. Ideally I'd like these to fit onto two 4-TB
drives. Assuming they can fit [1] does anyone know of a way to do
copies that span volumes?

My fallback is to run `du -b --max-depth=1`, load the output into a
spreadsheet, and hope that I can find point in the middle that leaves
half on each side. But I'm hoping there might be something to automate
it.

Walt

1. Yes, I realize this is the bin-packing problem and it's
   NP-Hard. The subdirectories are all around the same size and I'm
   hoping I'll get lucky.