Mike Leone via plug on 15 Dec 2020 08:51:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: SolarWinds

We got a SolarWinds notification last night, and this morning, one of my co-workers updated to the latest version. 2020-02.1 HF1

The notification:
Dear Customer,

We have just been made aware our systems experienced a highly sophisticated, manual supply chain attack on SolarWinds® Orion® Platform software builds for versions 2019.4 through 2020.2.1.

We have been advised this attack was likely conducted by an outside nation state and intended to be a narrow, extremely targeted, and manually executed incident, as opposed to a broad, system-wide attack. We are recommending that you upgrade to Orion Platform version 2020.2.1 HF 1 as soon as possible to ensure the security of your environment. The latest version is available in the SolarWinds Customer Portal.

If you aren’t sure which version of the Orion Platform you are using, see directions on how to check that here. To check which hotfixes you have applied, please go here.

In addition, we recommend you review the guidance provided in the Secure Configuration for the Orion Deployment document available

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM Keith via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 12/15/20 11:13 AM, jeffv via plug wrote:
> It's *massive*, down to consumer level.
>

> On 12/15/20 11:09 AM, Eric Lucas via plug wrote:
>> Scary story:
>> https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/12/u-s-treasury-commerce-depts-hacked-through-solarwinds-compromise/
>> <https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/12/u-s-treasury-commerce-depts-hacked-through-solarwinds-compromise/>
>>

>> Eric

This definitely can't be understated.  From my understanding, when
FireEye reviewed their situation they found and notified SolarWinds
about theirs.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.

Mike. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

This space reserved for future witticisms ...