Keith via plug on 3 Jan 2021 10:32:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] HP Envy x360 [a success story]

On 12/31/20 2:45 PM, Adam Fosbenner via plug wrote:
I just wanted to chime in here on the durability of the x360 models.  I
work in a computer repair shop in Berks county, and in the last 6
months or so, we have had a few of these laptops come in with damage
related to the hinges.  Forgive me if this gets a little off topic, but
while I am glad to hear of the success with running Linux on the x360,
I feel that I should contribute my experiences with this model from a
repair perspective.
I appreciate your comments Adam...

The damage that we have seen is not so much a problem with the hinges
themselves, but with the standoffs to which the hinges attach.  The
standoffs are molded into the inside of the lid and chassis, and when
they fail, the standoffs (or the threaded inserts within) detach from
the body, leaving the hinge still screwed to something, but essentially
floating inside the computer.  Once this happens, the problem can
easily escalate.  Trying to open or close the lid when the hinge is not
firmly attached will cause stress on other nearby parts, such as the
screen/screen bezel if the damage is on the lid-side of the hinge, or
the chassis/palmrest/bottom panel if the damage is on the chassis-side
of the hinge.
Ok, I think I know what you mean.  That's an interesting failure mode.  I would expect with a lot of use some loosening of the hinge mechanism but inserts separating inside the case is not what I would expect to happen.  Looking at this model (I'm not sure if the 2020 units use exactly the same mechanism), I don't see how that separation would stress internals parts.  Do have a model number for the x360 you saw that happen on?  I think I need a visual.
This is not an uncommon issue on older, cheaper, or generally poorly-
built laptops.  Mechanical systems fail, so it should be expected that
with prolonged use, some moving part will probably break on your
computer eventually, even if you are careful with it.  I wouldn't be
surprised if this is what happened with your old Asus, Keith.  What I
find troublesome is that we had multiple customers with similar issues
on these relatively new x360 laptops.  As you said, a problem like this
can render the computer nearly useless if you have to transport it all.
Normally when we see laptops that are damaged in this way, they are
several years old, and probably lower-end at that.  Laptops that are a
few months- to a year old should not break like this unless the user is
particularly rough with it.
The hinge on the ASUS is/was merely glues into a channel on the screen side and a channel on the body side that appears to be keyed but not in a way that "locks" (if that was the case it would be an easy fix).  I'm always careful to open laptop in a way that balances the stressed on the hinges so this design was barely a mechanical sound.  The channel is probably no more that 1mm deep and at first glance you would think it was just part the design.  Any company using glue to substitute for mechnical soundness (in this case, at least using a deeper channel the screen side could mate with) is cutting corners.  Its hard to tell but it screen side channel piece sounds / feels likes its just a hard plastic.
The right way to repair a  computer that is damaged in this way is to
replace the part with the broken standoffs, either the lid or the
chassis.  Replacing the lid can be troublesome on some models,
especially those with touchscreens, as the screen can sometimes be
difficult to separate from the lid without damaging the screen.
Replacing the chassis is usually fairly tedious, as it requires taking
the computer completely apart and putting it back together again.  The
alternative, hacky fix is to use a liberal amount of epoxy to reattach
the hinge/standoffs to the lid or chassis. This is probably not a great
long-term fix, and would also degrade future serviceability of the
laptop.  At the store, we prefer not to do this, unless the replacement
parts are unavailable or prohibitively expensive.

Regarding the x360's, we did have some difficulty sourcing parts,
either because it is a newer model or because the parts are in demand.
One customer was a college student, and the parts we were able to order
had to be shipped from China, which took a while.  Since the girl
needed the computer to do her schoolwork, we gave it back to her with
clamps holding both corners of the chassis in order to sandwich the
hinges in place, and she had to use the computer like that, unable to
close it, for a week or two before the parts came in.  And that
computer was a few months old.

I really hope that your computer holds up, Keith, especially if you
have gotten it running well, but I would urge to to exercise due care
to ensure that your laptop doesn't break like these others that I have
seen.  Maybe keep your eyes open for a parts computer to keep on hand,
just in case.

Cheers,
Adam Fosbenner
I'm not ruff on laptops so no worries there.  This is my first convertible device so right now I'm using it quite a bit as a tablet and inverted to see how I like it.  So far so good but I expect I'll be using it less since since this computer usually just lives in my bag.  If I really keep using it this way and first myself using my current Chromebook less, I might still get the Chromebook Duet since that is what I use most at home when I'm not in front of my workstation.  My Acer Chromebook for Work is still going strong (also purchased in 2016) and I really like being able to run Linux on it so that would be a hard choice.