Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 12 Jan 2021 16:54:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] I need help with configuring Raid on Ubuntu server 20.04

If you set up a RAID5 in the raid controller firmware, but Linux is still seeing the individual disks, you have a "fakeraid" or "softraid" controller. It only handles booting the array, and then (Windows-centric) drivers handle all raid operations after.

While it is possible to break the raid array in the firmware and setup a nice MDRAID array on the disks, I'm guessing that's not what you want. You'd like a bootable RAID5, right?

Easiest route, but not cheapest, is to find a real hardware raid controller for the R510 that's Dell OEM and switch it out. Sorry for the bad news.