Floyd Johnson via plug on 10 May 2021 07:50:37 -0700

[PLUG] Not the wisest comment on the Colonial break-in

Upon learning about the apparent break-in and planting of ransomware on the systems of Colonial Pipeline, my gut reaction was, "How does someone hack a pipeline? Those aren't connected to any public networks, right?"

(*braces for it*)

This faintly reminded me of the difficulty we had setting up a Roomba a few months ago due to its lack of WPA2 capability. With a moment to think, I can almost understand the negative presumption about the consumer, essentially, "WLAN security provisions add unneeded cost, as John Q. Public doesn't bother with those."

As for Colonial Pipeline, I have only the foggiest idea what happened over there. At most, I can only presume they have better backup habits than mine, and are currently reloading everything up to just before the the malware got in.