Casey Bralla via plug on 13 Jul 2021 07:22:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] New Hard Drive Testing Practices

Interesting question I never thought about.  For me, without a "mission
critical" application, I just swap in the drive, format it, copy data to
it, and go.   Modern drives are so reliable now, I assume any defects
are caught in final testing at the manufacturer, or will show up almost
immediately when formated. However, I also assume the big drives you're
dealing with are less reliable than the typical 2-4 TBytes of a consumer
drive since they are pushing the technology limits.

But for critical data on very large drives in a RAID, I think the
long-form testing is probably a good idea.