Steve Litt via plug on 15 Jul 2021 22:19:41 -0700

[PLUG] Repeat of my Runit Init Presentation

Hi all,

Saturday, 7/17/2021 at 10AM **CALIFORNIA TIME** I'll repeat my Runit
Init System presentation, at URL:

https://meet.jit.si/OrangeCountyLinuxUserGroup

This is the monthly meeting of the Orange County California Linux User
Group.

DETAILS
-------

An init system is the software, the one and only software directly
called by the Kernel, to bring the system up to a workable condition.
Many init systems, including Runit, also provide tools to keep the
daemons running.

Runit is amazingly simple and extremely powerful. Full daemon
supervision with auto-restart. Run levels, if desired. Trivial
daemonization of programs you write in C, Python, shellscript, or
almost anything, without silly double-forking. Extreme resilience. Most
who have used Runit for more than a month prefer it to systemd or
sysvinit.

My presentation uses block diagrams (Mental Models) to showcase Runit's
inner workings to the extent that you can deploy Runit on your computer
and actually understand what you've done. I'll also demonstrate a Linux
Virtual Machine guest that inits with runit. I hope to see you there.

SteveT

Steve Litt