Michael Lazin via plug on 29 Jul 2021 06:34:46 -0700

[PLUG] slightly off topic, possible privacy issues with JavaScript

I cannot say where, but I came across code like this in a dangerous place in the wild:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27846392/access-microphone-from-a-browser-_javascript_

In my personal opinion, this built in function of _javascript_ raises privacy issues.  When you are using a mobile device, like Android or iPhone, there are fine grained permissions for apps that would prevent the listening of an application without your permission, but I have checked, and the _javascript_ standard has no protection to prevent any website from listening without your knowledge.  I was wondering what others might think of this even though it is off topic, and if anyone has an idea on how to report this.  _javascript_ has a long history of security issues, but this seems like a glaring privacy oversight.

Thank you,

Michael Lazin

.. τὸ γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι.