Keith C. Perry via plug on 4 Aug 2021 13:19:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommendation for NAS with Solid State Drives

...and SSD write endurance is one of those things that a lot of people don't know about and get "bit" by.  Typical consumer grade devices aren't all that "good" and TBW numbers are going to be consistent because not all flash is created equal.  Chia farmers have exposed this issue quite a bit this year. :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "K.S. Bhaskar" <ksbhaskar@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 4, 2021 3:15:09 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Recommendation for NAS with Solid State Drives

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM K.S. Bhaskar via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> The Backblaze data for Q1 2021 (https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2021/) suggests that at least in some applications, SSDs have a lower failure rate than HDDs.

SSD/HDD have different failure characteristics.  The SSD is going to
be way more durable if shocked.  It probably has a lot more endurance
for reads.  On the other hand the HDD has a lot more write endurance.
I suspect that time is going to wear HDDs more than SSDs, but I am not
so confident in that.

SSD write performance and endurance benefit from an SSD-aware
filesystem and all the hardware supporting TRIM.  So, that's another
consideration.

So, you need to be mindful of all of this when you make a choice.

--
Rich