JP Vossen via plug on 15 Aug 2021 13:15:29 -0700

[PLUG] Small scale Icinga1 replacement?

When I had to switch my home monitoring away from Nagios circa 2018, it was very painful and I ended up just going from Nagios3 to more-or-less-drop-in Icinga1.  But per the Debian Buster release, that (stone-age) Icinga1 is gone.  Icinga2 is there, but if I have to start from scratch, what's better, or at least sucks less?

Requirements:
* In the Debian 11 repos, and ideally in the 10 repos too
* <4-6 hour setup from scratch for ~40 objects, mostly Linux, but some BSD, ESXi, networking stuff, ATA, HD Homerun tuner, printers, etc.
* The install will be on a shared services server, not dedicated, so it needs to play nice
* Low resource use (nothing Java!)
** Ideally no back-end DB, like MySQL, required
* Less NRPE agent BS would be nice, I've had a bunch of v2 to v3 compatibility issues and much log spam
* In fact "agentless" would be awesome, if that's a thing
** Because the Icinga2 agent sounded awful last time I checked: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-monitor-hosts-and-services-with-icinga-on-ubuntu-16-04
* Easy deployment via Ansible, if there is an agent
* The usual parent/dependency relationship definition
* Bogus points for a nice GUI map and status board (BOY is Icinga1 ugly here!)
* I'm torn about CLI/flat text vs. GUI config: I usually prefer CLI/text, but this is mostly a one-time-only and I recall Nagios/Icinga and Icinga2 having a painful learning curve for the config files

Monitoring:
* Up and running/connectivity
* Disk space
* CPU load
* Various servers running well, like DNS, HTTP/S, MythTV, sshd, etc.

I probably won't get around to this for a few months, though if there's a better tool in both Debian 10 and 11 repos maybe I'll pre-migrate monitoring before I move to Buster.

Thanks for any clues,
JP