Rich Freeman via plug on 26 Aug 2021 17:27:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] my bash script to report rogue Microsoft 365 servers

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 7:26 PM CJ Fearnley via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Today I wrote a script to report to Microsoft all the rogue Microsoft
> 365 servers that tried to send me e-mail yesterday. After a few days of
> testing, I will add it to my crontab.
>
> Maybe JP will find an idea here for his book.
>
> This is a David versus Goliath effort: I need all the help I can get.
>
> So, I welcome any advice to improve the script or to further shame
> Microsoft for their despicable 365 e-mail server management practices.

What exactly are they sending in HELO?

Your tweets are a bit vague, but it sounds like you're concerned that
HELO, forward DNS, and reverse DNS don't match.

Per the RFC, there is no requirement that forward/reverse DNS match.

Per the RFC, the recommendation in this case is to transmit the IP
address in the HELO, optionally followed by some identifying text
(which can basically be anything).  It isn't clear from your tweets
whether they are doing that.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2821#page-29

   In situations in which the
   SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
   its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is
   available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see section
   4.1.3), optionally followed by information that will help to identify
   the client system.

--
Rich