Rich Freeman via plug on 15 Oct 2021 18:06:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Pine Phone

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 7:53 PM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> > They made a good point... if you use proprietary apps, like banking, DRM,
> > games, this is not for you. Maybe existing phone for proprietary, Pine for
> > main.
>
> I wonder how many people don't run any proprietary apps at all on
> their phones.

Honestly, at this level of functionality you might as well have a flip
phone.  Granted, you could use FOSS email and a browser, but that
would be about it.

It would make far more sense to just use Android but lock it down so
that everything is better sandboxed.  There are already privacy mods
for Android and they would be a lot more robust on a phone designed
from the ground up to use them.  Granted, you still need to deal with
stuff that requires Play Services and so on, but you'd still gain a
ton of application support this way.  Plus any apps targeted for this
phone (ie not requiring Play Services and so on) would also run fine
on any other Android phone, which greatly improves their versatility.
This phone is a dead end for app development since the apps you build
aren't going to run anywhere else, and I doubt the platform is
supported by cross-platform toolkits.

--
Rich