Rich Freeman via plug on 2 Nov 2021 04:23:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] trojan, ransomware

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 10:15 PM Martin Cracauer via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Rich Freeman via plug wrote on Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 10:05:28PM -0400:
> >
> > Pretty sure non-ASCII programming has been a thing for a VERY long time:
> >
> >       FACTORIAL???{??/??????}  ??? OR:   FACTORIAL?????/???
>
> I just have a hard time requiring more than 8 bit characters encodings
> for source code.

IMO it is impractical for most actual syntax or standard libraries
simply due to it being hard to access from any random keyboard.
However, certainly support for string literals and so on makes sense,
and there is no reason to block it in identifiers (though reining in
some of the control codes clearly is necessary - I think an issue is
that Unicode doesn't really have a concept of language and thus things
like directionality do not need to be tied to a particular set of
characters).

> And we see a result right here.

Not sure that this is a result of anything other than somebody's
system being a bit outdated on the UTF-8 support front.

Font coverage was a bit spotty for some of the characters in that on
various terminals I tried display it on.  However, even if some of the
characters displayed as boxes copy/paste into a different
terminal/application preserved the encoding and rendered the text in
the font used by that application.

A quick survey of what I found:
Chrome Browser on Windows: rendered it all
MobaXTerm on Windows using MobaFont: missed the ⍝    (which means any
command line programs over ssh couldn't "see" it since they render
through the ssh terminal)
gvim/X11 on my Gentoo box: rendered it all
My linux virtual console was a hot mess, and it basically rendered
none of the APL stuff.  I'm still reading up on the details but it
sounds like the linux framebuffer is limited to 256/512 characters
on-screen at once due to use of legacy VGA conventions, but which
characters you get can be remapped.  The console itself is UTF-8, but
it is the rendering that has this limitation.

--
Rich