Rich Freeman via plug on 2 Jan 2022 03:48:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft Exchange year 2022 bug in FIP-FS breaks email delivery

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 6:10 AM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Exchange's spam and malware checking engine was storing dates in a signed 32-bit integer. The date value for 2022-01-01 is 2,201,010,001. Since this is bigger than 2^31 = 2,147,483,648, this prevented mail from being delivered. You can read more at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-exchange-year-2022-bug-in-fip-fs-breaks-email-delivery/.

I have no idea how they fixed this in their update, but the first
thing that jumped out at me is that it appears to be storing a 2-digit
year, so it would have also failed in Y2K (well, actually, I guess in
1922 - it wouldn't have worked at all in the 90s).

How is it that programmers are still using 2-digit years?

Hopefully whatever fix they implemented was a clean one, or at least
leads to a clean one - the MS article was scant on details.  This
seems like an internal operation, so I guess they don't really have to
document how it works.

--
Rich