Eli Flanagan via plug on 2 Feb 2022 05:44:57 -0800

[PLUG] Perspectives on Content Filtering: kernel or userspace?

Hi folks,
I've been wondering about approaches to content filtering on GNU/Linux systems.
By content filtering I generally mean blocking TCP packets based on some kind of denylist from a user (DNSBL, pihole, etc).

I'm curious about whether you see any major advantages to designs that integrate directly with the kernel.

I imagine a benefit is performance and reliability. A downside is lack of portability.
Userspace software has the advantage of portability (unbound, dnsmasq).

I feel like this is a topic for discussion since I do not believe in a One Right Answer to the problem.
Cheers,
--
  Eli Flanagan