Walt Mankowski via plug on 8 Mar 2022 17:57:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] latest 'most high severity'

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 10:26:29AM -0500, jeffv via plug wrote:

> Linux has been bitten by its most high-severity vulnerability in years
> xploit released
>
> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/03/linux-has-been-bitten-by-its-most-high-severity-vulnerability-in-years/
>
> Linux has yet another high-severity vulnerability that makes it easy for
> untrusted users to execute code capable of carrying out a host of malicious
> actions including installing backdoors, creating unauthorized user accounts,
> and modifying scripts or binaries used by privileged services or apps.

There's a new Linux kernel rolling out to Ubuntu this evening that
addresses this bug. See
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2022-March/006436.html
and similar messages for their other releases.

I just installed it on my home box after I signed off from tonight's
PLUG meeting. This sounds like one you should try to install as soon
as you have time.

Walt