K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 11 Apr 2022 08:34:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Book: Modern Mainframe Development

Circa 1978, when working at the University of Nebraska Computer Network, I tracked down and fixed a bug in a COBOL program (Draftform/Legiform, which the state legislature used to maintain drafts and final versions of the legislature, and which had specific legal formatting requirements). For someone with zero prior experience with the language, I found the code surprisingly easy to read and maintain. So at least in that regard, COBOL met its objectives.

I also used Teco extensively in the late 1970s. At a DECUS session where people were complaining about DEC not having a common programming language across all their computers, a guy walked up with a Teco T-shirt, and said, “Of course, there is a common programming language across all their computers. It's Teco.” There was also a Teco taco that went something like lettuce$beans$ which actually did something. If anyone happens to have a copy, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Regards
– Bhaskar

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 3:18 AM Steve Litt via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Lynn Bradshaw via plug said on Mon, 11 Apr 2022 00:37:51 -0400

>Not having used COBOL directly but having seen code examples, like the
>Fibonacci sequence ones on Rosetta Code, it looks insanely
>arthritis-inducing. I get the idea is for it to be readable for a
>pretty broad spectrum of different types of workers but I think
>Smalltalk nailed it down better with a mixture of terse algebraic
>syntax and syntax more like English language. APL is the other extreme
>opposite COBOL and Smalltalk sits in that nice golden mean.

If you're looking for a terse language, try TECO (just kidding).

I can't argue with COBOL requiring maybe quadruple the keystrokes of C,
but it's also a little more readable than C.

I'm not saying COBOL is a spectacularly wonderful language. I'm just
saying it's better than most people give it credit for.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm