Rev. LeRoy Cressy via plug on 11 Apr 2022 09:26:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Book: Modern Mainframe Development

There was a fine lady, Sandy Basickes who attended our meetings back in
the 1990's who worked with Admiral Grace Hopper on the development of
Cobal back in the 1950's when I was only 2 years old.  The last time I
talked to her she still was writing code in hexadecimal machine code.
This group has a lot of history.

On Mon, 2022-04-11 at 00:21 -0400, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
> JP Vossen via plug said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 15:00:24 -0400
>
> > While this may seem OT for this list, it's not.
> >
> > I've just started reading a 2022-03 _Modern Mainframe Development_
> > book (345 pages), and I find it really interesting.  Thus far it
> > has
> > made a compelling case for the strong demand side of skilling up in
> > COBOL and IBM mainframe technologies.  This is pretty interesting
> > too:
> > https://github.com/search?q=COBOL.
>
> I've always thought that COBOL has gotten a bad rap. It has built-in
> ISAM, which is pretty darn cool. Except for hitting the hardware
> directly, in COBOL you can do most of what you can do in C,
> including recursion. I don't know if you can pass references
> to paragraphs or linked procedures in order to make callbacks. My
> only
> real complaint about COBOL is that paragraphs can't have their own
> local
> variables: Variables are local to the compiled source file only, so
> you
> need to use CALL to call procedures linked in from other files.
>

> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy
 mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com

  /\_/\
 ( o.o )
  > ^ <

Cell Phone: 267-668-9686

GnuPG Fingerprint:
D234 65D6 2822 211B F82F  A6CA B332 4CC8 ACBF D200

You can find me on the following:

Telegram:
    (My Main Channel)
	https://t.me/RevLeRoy