Keith C. Perry via plug on 25 Apr 2022 11:03:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] more on the Insteon shutdown

That investment in their technology is the thing that I think about for people like you choose Insteon over other things.  They owed you all a better exit.

Z-wave as far as I recall has always been mesh too.  Maybe is wasn't as good before but I'm using all 500 series products and any powered device repeats.  I do use a single power outlet repeater to make my network more robust but I don't have any major signal problem and if I did, they could easily be solved that way.

That said, I'm curious if you care to share what you are thinking about doing with your installation going forward.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
[ http://www.daotechnologies.com/ | www.daotechnologies.com ]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com>
Cc: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 1:30:03 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] more on the Insteon shutdown

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 1:01 PM Keith C. Perry via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> there is nothing wrong with z-wave, zigbee, wifi or even Insteon.

I haven't taken a look at the options recently, but at the time I went
with Insteon the main reasons I did were:

1. Combined powerline and wireless signaling, which is more robust if
you don't have a ton of devices.
2. Every wireless device can repeat any signal from any other device.
This wasn't the case with many of the competitors.

One issue at the time (which was a few years ago) was that some of the
mesh-based protocols had a number of sub-standards for different kinds
of devices with different levels of capabilities.  Not all devices
could repeat signals from any other device.  This did help keep the
cost down as a compliant device could just ignore messages it didn't
understand.  However, this makes the mesh less robust, because if your
lightswitches can't repeat signals intended for your dimmers then your
dimmers all have to be within range of each other to talk directly
(just an arbitrary made-up example).

Maybe that is less of an issue today.  Anytime you're dealing with
mesh technology though you need to give thought to whether everything
will be able to reach everything else.

The big downside to Insteon at the time was cost - while anything
could relay a signal for anything else over both power and wireless,
you were paying upwards of $50 per wall switch/etc.

--
Rich