Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 12 May 2022 12:01:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Open Source nVidia Drivers

These work with Turing and above (RTX 2000+) only. The older cards used some patent-encumbered bits that prevented opening the kernel interfaces. It's not a marketing move, it has a technical reason, but I'm sure no one at Nvidia was upset to have another selling point for the newer cards.

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 2:11 PM Syeed Ali via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2022 12:59:09 -0400
Casey Bralla via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure if I believe this is really what it says, but it looks
> like the proprietary nVidea drivers will soon be open source.
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-open-kernel&num=1

I don't know how to dip into the code to see the truth of things, but
here it is:

https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules

I do wonder if these drivers will work with earlier cards, or if this
is only a push to have people consider their new hardware going forward.