Keith C. Perry via plug on 22 May 2022 12:32:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenGL over ssh

Not sure if this applies but one what of the things I find useful is running an additional X11 session (with different window manager) that I then use x11vnc to connect to via vnc.  If that vnc session is bound to localhost then you can use something like ssvnc to view that vnc session over ssh.

Sometimes different windows managers do better with different graphics libs and this methodology allows you to play with them without changing anything.  My use case is to do this after Chrome/Chromium dropped the ability to cast a specific application.  I'll use this with either of those browsers to cast this second X11 display (i.e. cast desktop) to the TV in my office so that I can use it as a 3rd screen when needed.  Often this is just to display a single application but it is an actual X11 session so I can use it for anything.

Another important point about that is you can also choose the resolution you want.  So while my primary X11 session runs against two 24" monitors at 1080p, the second X11 session on the TV can do any of its resolutions.  For example, I could run it at a 4k resolution if I wanted.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2022 7:05:59 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] OpenGL over ssh

On Sat, May 21, 2022, 15:43 K.S. Bhaskar via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Caveat: I have never tried something like this. Might it be an option to run Matlab on a virtual machine in the cluster and use SPICE for the display?

Regards
– Bhaskar

While SPICE is optimized/ideal for virtualization, you can use x11spice with bare metal as well.

As for OpenGL and SSH forwarding directly, you likely may need to set up indirect rendering. Export this on the remote:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1