Michael Lazin via plug on 23 Jun 2022 02:20:46 -0700

[PLUG] Strange behavior in the EPEL repository

I work with Fortigates and I noticed that they were sandboxing this file from the EPEL repository:

129406154ea25057f8d20d12f1e0b90f2a9494aca05b85070a2fdd2aed0ec746-filelists.xml.gz

I downloaded a sample from here and uploaded it to Virustotal

https://mirror.chpc.utah.edu/pub/epel/7/x86_64/repodata/

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/23afd744ef7a3e87830734d4a9b932c170d7ef02c1527110bd7143b7703b04b7?nocache=1

Everything says it is clean but it meets a Yara rule for a malicious Windows API.  I tested this by downloading it on a Windows machine that was protected with Sentinelone and Sentinelone sandboxed it too, but for behavior.

Since it is an XML file it can contain bad _javascript_, scripting can be embedded in XML.  I have not examined the code yet, I am simply reporting what I found because it may be of interest.  I think this is important because this is the only repository you can use to install Clamav and Rkhunter in RedHat type Linux distros.  This may be a false positive because I have examined no code, but I did see Sentinelone sandbox it when I unpacked it on Windows.

Thanks,

Michael Lazin

.. τὸ γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι.