Keith C. Perry via plug on 8 Jul 2022 19:54:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] AM bye bye

I always find discussions like this interesting.

Dropping AM is one thing.  Dropping FM or FM-HD (which is pretty good in terms of quality) is something else.  Personally, I'm for having choice.  Sometimes I listen to Drexel's station (Saturday afternoon / evening is all Reggae and other Caribbean music- kept me from being homesick while in undergrad) or WJJZ (which is now 106.1 HD2).  I also have SirusXM in car and Android Auto for app things.

I use them all and I want that choice.

What I don't want to see is everything forced into some crappy app (free or paid) designed by someone who most likely knows nothing about interface design or understands why knobs and buttons are still a thing.  AM and FM receivers are not expensive or complicated to make.  That tends to make them more durable from a service delivery point of view so removing any traditional radio functions doesn't make sense to me.  Clearly there is still plenty of radio content out there.

For what its worth, broadcast TV seems to be dying quicker and we see that mess that has created with everyone wanting you pay for their "plus" network for the 1 or 2 shows you care about.  We should not want to do anything remotely similar to that in radio.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167