jeffv via plug on 27 Jul 2022 09:07:12 -0700

[PLUG] malware on github, hiding PID, android rant

Luca Stealer malware spreads rapidly after code handily appears on GitHub

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/26/luca-stealer-rust-cyble/

the Windows software nasty – dubbed Luca Stealer by the folks at Cyble who detected it – is the latest to be built using the Rust programming language.

How to hide PID listings from non-root users in Linux

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/hidepid-linux-hide-pid

New Android malware apps installed 10 million times from Google Play

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-android-malware-apps-installed-10-million-times-from-google-play/

Commentary mine:
Despite tons of bad press and bad apps, Google seems to have a real aversion to seriously testing the apps before putting them up for download. I recommend not using Play for several reasons, this being one. [aptoide.com or apkmirror.com to start]

A suggestion would be to seriously examine any app. Look for grammatical errors. This won't catch all, but it's a good start. Many of these apps are for non-essential use. Look for something from known authors first.

If you are clinically insane, like me, you can firewall the phone. It's a lot of work and you can't use a VPN.