Walt Mankowski via plug on 9 Aug 2022 08:20:56 -0700

[PLUG] Fwd: Ubuntu 22.04.1 delayed until August 11

This post doesn't mention it, but since users running stable Ubuntu
systems won't be prompted to update to the new stable until its .1
release, this means that anyone on 20.04 has been held back a bit as
well.

This doesn't affect people who installed 22.04 when it was released
back in April. I have two such systems and they both already say
they're on 22.04.1.

Walt

----- Forwarded message from Lukasz Zemczak <lukasz.zemczak@canonical.com> -----

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 16:42:28 +0200
From: Lukasz Zemczak <lukasz.zemczak@canonical.com>
To: ubuntu-devel <ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Ubuntu 22.04.1 delayed until August 11

Hello everyone,

This is basically a copy-paste of my discourse announcement earlier.

During testing of our 22.04.1 release candidates, we were made aware
of an unexpected issue regarding the OEM Installation feature of our
Ubuntu Desktop installer images.

This bug causes preinstalled snaps not to work on the final target
system after the “OEM install” option is selected during installation
(i.e. after the end-user setup is performed) (LP: #1983528 3). This
behavior would seriously impact the experience of any users whose
login was created after an OEM install.

In order not to compromise the quality of the installation media, we
have decided to delay the release of 22.04.1 by a week, releasing on
August 11, 2022.

The issue has been identified and a fix is in review, so we are
confident it will be resolved shortly. However, moving release to the
11th will give us time to address the bug and test the fix, and will
allow users to plan for the update with a definitive date.

# As a regular user of 22.04, am I affected?

This issue only affects new installations using the OEM Install mode
of Ubiquity and using the release candidate images for 22.04.1.
Existing users and users installing with the currently available 22.04
images are not affected in any way.

# Why delaying and not hotfixing?

We identified this issue late in testing. The current identified fix
is in a core Ubuntu component (snapd), so we would like to perform a
full test cycle on the package and the new images before we ship them
to our users. We do not want to risk introducing any new issues while
pushing out a hotfix to a core component, so we believe the best
approach is to delay the update.

On behalf of the Ubuntu Release Team,
Łukasz ‘sil2100’ Zemczak

--