Walt Mankowski via plug on 10 Aug 2022 17:31:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Slides for last night's talk

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 04:52:07PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> On 8/10/22 09:00, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone who came to last night's meeting. We had a good
> > crowd, a great presentation, and some great discussion.
> >
> > In case you missed the meeting or want to refer back to something,
> > Andrew's slides are online at
> >
> > https://www.evernote.com/shard/s84/sh/88cfaeca-48e4-da9f-1727-72081dd08f49/8e729e6a2de80e29065867ae0f8b5954
>
> Cool, thanks Walt.  And Thanks again Andrew (and Will for Linode hackery).
>
> I had intended to talk about the following, but got distracted then had to leave.  I highly recommend the following tool (in the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/etc repos) for monitoring for Postfix logs.  It's written in Perl and runs daily from cron to send you an email summary of Postfix activity.  You might need to tweak the configs, I installed it decades ago when I started running my mail server, so I forget the details.
>
> Postfix log entry summarizer: `sudo apt install pflogsumm`

I also use pflogsumm. I don't remember if I had to tweak anything to
get it to run, but that was a decade ago when I switched from qmail to
postfix so I suppose it's possible.

My main way of running it is to report on all the mail logs I have,
which is typically about a month's worth. I do that by running

zcat -f /var/log/mail.log* | pflogsumm | less

I still have all the machinery in place to run my own mail server at
home. It doesn't get much use since I switched to Fastmail, mostly
just forwarding internal email reports (cronjobs, etc.) from my
Linode. It's still nice to run pflogsumm periodically just to make
sure nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Walt