JP Vossen via plug on 5 Oct 2022 20:20:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firefox 105 is unusable for me

On 9/28/22 11:59, jeffv via plug wrote:
On 9/27/22 23:04, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
thought about the Snap, and might still mess with it, but that seems like it might be even worse, and I'm not sure what effect it might have on my profile (and gazillion tabs).

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I know the CPU hit is real, because with FF 104 I could rarely hear my $WORK laptop fan, and since FF 105 it's constantly and significantly louder.  That laptop sits on a shelf, with a lot of clearance for air-flow, and that hasn't changed.

I'm having some really annoying problems with swap, generally involving Thunderbird, FF, and Epiphany (Web). That said, to address the tab issue, there's an addon called Panorama Tab Groups. This group of extensions *might* save memory by grouping tabs. I like it because it separates tabs by my intention for them. The only problem is that when FF updates, it loses the grouping. Grumble. It's a fork of a different one.

As for swap, I lowered it from 60 (default) to 40 and swap stopped going to 96%. It's not the genesis of the problem, but it helps. [Xubuntu]

I had a lot of problems with this when my PC had 8G of RAM.  I was up to 20G of swap, and often thrashing something fierce.  I finally had enough and built a new PC with 32G of RAM.  I'm a LOT happier now.
```
$ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           30Gi        16Gi       1.3Gi       596Mi        12Gi        13Gi
Swap:         2.0Gi       1.8Gi       216Mi
```

Also spent some time looking into browsers. In comparative tests, the 'best' browsers didn't use that much less than the worst ones. To my horror, MS Edge was recommended by several articles.

Oh HELL no.  Firefox (or a derivative) is the only acceptable browser.  I might use Chromium if a site fails to work in FF, but while that used to be common it's tapered off a lot of the last year or 2.  I use Edge at work if forced at gun point.  (Well, knife point, they frown on guns in the UK. :)

FF is my main browser because of the flexibility/addons/securitah. Web runs the blog (insecure enough to log into Google). I'm trying out Falkon for impromptu surfing. Ungoogled Chromium is for sites that just won't let me in with my standard security. Falkon's behaving well, mostly.Sometimes it won't display things. I've tried most of them. Even Edge! [wrk only, Win 10]
FF critical features, for me:

Extensions
* uBlock Origin
* NoScript
* PrivacyBadger
* Tab Flag
* All Tabs Helper

Features:
* Not Google
* Not MS
* Not Apple
* Quick links (keyword expansion, so I can type "tick 1234" and that expands to the URL to open that ticket)
* Address bar search: I type a keyword and it tells me that tab is already open, then moves me there, switching virtual desktops as needed, that's freaking awesome!)
* about:memory
* about:performance
* about:config and CSS hacks for customization
* The built-in JSON viewer
* (OK, Chromium's Dev Tools are pretty nice)

Later,
JP