thomas.plug--- via plug on 8 Nov 2022 08:01:40 -0800

[PLUG] GNOME "type to search" character duplication

I have an curious behavior with the "type to search" box in the GNOME overview view...

I'm running GNOME 42.4, X11, and GDM 43.0 on my box (Manjaro linux), whenever I go into the Activities view (or hit the keyboard shortcut to "Show the overview") and start typing, the very first character, and only that one, is duplicated in the "Type to search" box, all other characters are accurate.

I have no idea whether this is some kind of weird setting I did or if there's a config file that I can muck with so any insight or pointers on how to debug this nuisance will be very much appreciated...

To the best of my knowledge, this only started happening about 1 week ago or maybe a little longer but not much. This also only happens on one of my boxes but not on any of the other ones, which are running the exact same configuration (but are different types of machines). This duplication also only manifests itself in that very specific "Type to search" box, I don't experience weird duplication anywhere else...

# Repro steps

- sign in
- start something to no longer be in overview (this doesn't matter, but just for good measure)
- Decide I want to bring up 'gedit'
- hit "Show the overview" keyboard shortcut (or hit the "Activities" in the upper left; in my case, "Show the overview" is mapped to Super+S)
- start typing 'gedit'

# Expected:

The "Type to search" box contains 'gedit', nothing more, nothing less. Search results contain the 'gedit' application.

# Actual

The "Type to search" box contains 'ggedit'. Because 'ggedit' is not an app, there are no search results.

I can manually clean up the duplicated character ('gg' -> 'g') but this is super annoying to have to do.

# Workaround

Type 'g', then hit backspace to eliminate the duplicated 'g' and continue typing 'edit'