Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug on 13 Nov 2022 18:01:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Mounting ext4 on macOS

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 8:53 PM Walt Mankowski via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Hi all,

My Linux box is currently in the shop. (See my previous emails.) This means my only computer at home is a MacBook Pro running macOS Ventura. I've got a backup of my Linux box on an external USB drive.

The Linux box has been unavailable for over a week now and there are a few files I'd like to access from the backup. Unfortunately, the drive is formatted as ext4, which macOS doesn't support natively.

One suggestion I found was to install a third party all called macFUSE, then install a package called ext4fuse using homebrew. I got macFUSE installed, but ext4fuse is refusing to install:

% brew install ext4fuse
Running `brew update --auto-update`...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 1 tap (homebrew/core).

Error: ext4fuse has been disabled because it requires closed-source macFUSE!

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get this to work?

Thanks,
Walt

What you need is here:
https://github.com/gerard/ext4fuse/issues/66

Basically homebrew management chose freedom over user access, so you need to either do some legwork or pay Paragon 40$ for their all in one closed source ext4 driver.