Walt Mankowski via plug on 26 Dec 2022 08:21:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Perpetual license for MS Office, limited time

On Sun, Dec 25, 2022 at 06:08:23PM -0500, N. Albert via plug wrote:
> On 12/25/2022 2:08 PM, Greg Helledy via plug wrote:
> >
> > I feel kind of dirty posting this on a linux board, but apparently MS
> > is, for a few days, offering Office Professional licenses on a permanent
> > basis for $30. The alternative is having to rent it for $70/year.
> >
> > The Mac offer expires at midnight tonight (12/25), the Windows offer
> > expires 12/28.
> >
> > https://www.cnet.com/deals/microsoft-office-is-91-percent-off-and-youd-be-nuts-to-miss-out-today/
> >

> Interesting... I wonder if Office 2021 licenses aren't selling that well.

I'm guessing most people who need to use Office either already have
it, have a 365 subscription through work or school (like I do) or are
running a really old version like you are. It sounds like they were
trying to make it so cheap that they'd pick up a few stragglers. I
might have seriously considered it if I didn't already have access to
365 through work.

> There was a time where I would have gone for this immediately, but now I
> neither rent nor buy; I still use Office 2010, and Windows 7, so even if the
> 2021 version were "free", I'd pass on it. I prefer the older version, and it
> doesn't look like Microsoft will change my mind anytime soon.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 has been out of support for nearly 3 years
now, so this is a risky strategy if you care about things like
security updates.

Walt